Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Meatloaf... Not The Band

   The other day I had the inkling to make a meatloaf. Why, I have no idea, because meatloaf is one of my LEAST favorite foods. There's something about meat that comes in loaf form that turns my stomach. So when my husband asked me to make a meatloaf the same day, I knew that it was my destiny (I'm pretty sure that is the saddest sentence ever blogged). I had never made this meal, so I called my mother-in-law to get her recipe. I followed the instructions to the letter.... but my meat turned out greenish and looser than his mother's (sounds vaguely like a description I gave to my doctor the other day....). Naturally, my whiney husband began to object, criticizing the fact that his loaf doesn't look exactly like a picture out of the Betty Crocker cookbook. I told him where he could shove the meatloaf, if he so desired, but he chose to grudgingly taste it.
    Lo and behold, the man loved it. What I mean by "loved it" is that he ravenously ate all but one slice of the loaf in 3 days. He talked about the meal to his entire family, swallowing a big piece of humble pie for dessert. Then tonight, he asked me to make another loaf so he could have it throughout the week. I agreed, but decided to make a few changes in order to add some visual appeal. It was the same basic ingredients, just altered slightly. When I told him that I think I may have improved the recipe, his face crumbled and he proceded to tell me that if it wasn't as good as the last loaf, he was going to kill me. Well that's gratitude for ya! What's a woman got to do to get a little thanks? My guy is so particular about NEVER trying new things that he is willing to threaten death if his meatloaf is subpar? I'm tempted to let the dogs lick all over the meat before I serve it to him tonight. So the jury is out..... Will he like the new recipe or will I apparently be tossed into the creek? Only time will tell.....

2 comments:

  1. You really need to have ur own column somewhere. You have such a knack for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anonymous:) I'd love to write for something!

    ReplyDelete